When Tasker first starts, Beginner Mode is enabled.
In Beginner Mode, Tasker attempts to simplify things for inexperienced users, mostly by UI elements which are unlikely to be needed by inexperienced users.
Beginner Mode can be disabled by unchecking the option:
Menu / Prefs / UI / Beginner Mode
Some of the changes made in Beginner Mode are:
- main screen, Variables tab removed
- main screen, export options removed
- main screen, project tab not accessible
- task edit screen, task properties icon removed
- action edit screen, Label, Continue On Error parameters removed
- prefs screen, many options removed
In the userguide, when references are found to things which do not appear on the screen. It's worth disabling Beginner Mode to see if that's the problem.